From $100 /lesson
Since 2008 SurfDiscovery has specialised in professional surfing lessons. Our surf coaching packages are designed for people wanting to make surfing a big part of their trip, regardless of whether you're just starting out learning to surf. Our school is accredited by ASI (Academy of Surfing Instructors)
- LESSON 1
- "Surf Theory" where you will learn where waves come from, what different kinds there are, what riptide is and how to deal with it. We will also debunk many myths about the ocean.
- Your instructor will show you the proper technique for standing up on the board, which you will then practice on our specially made board-shaped carpets.
- Next, you are designated a board based on your size and weight, and the "wet" part of the lesson begins!
- You will practice getting on and off the board and proper paddling technique in our pool, to make sure you are ready for the ocean.
- In the last part of the lesson, we finally get into the ocean! Your first lesson will be on whitewater (this is the foamy part of the wave), and you will surf your first wave to shore! Don't be worried, the water is warm and you will only be getting in chest-deep.
- LESSON 2
- Like every other sport, surfing demands some stretches beforehand, so your muscles are ready for the workout. You will learn some basic exercises that you can do in order to help you feel more confident in the water.
- Then, you will review the theory again and practice standing up on board-carpets.
- During this lesson you will be introduced to the balance-board - every surfer's best friend! Your instructor will teach you what to do with it and the proper safety technique. A balance-board is a great way to practice and train your balance, which is very key for surfing.
- The last part of the lesson will be spent in the ocean again.
- LESSON 3
- Following the first two lessons, you can already stand up on the board and go forwards, now it is time to gain control over the board and make your first turns!
- Your instructor will show you the proper technique for turning, and explain the ways that you can practice this on dry land - for example on a skateboard. This type of practice is key if you want to move forward in surfing.
- And finally - you will make your first turns and surf along some waves!
- LESSON 4
- This last lesson is a very important one. You will learn surf etiquette and proper behaviour on the line up, as well as the behaviour of different types of waves and how to get out onto the line up (eskimo-rolls).
- You will practice sitting up and turning the board from this position in the pool.
- The most exciting moment - finally paddling out onto the lineup and surfing your first proper wave! Your instructor will always be close by to lend a helping hand and offer some words of encouragement!
- LESSON 5
- This lesson will be devoted to learning how to "read" the ocean and pick the appropriate waves. You will learn how to determine between left and right waves, and practice surfing along the wave rather than off of it.
- LESSON 6
- Finally - a surf trip! You will load your boards on top of our van (with the help of your instructor) and drive to a reef spot (around 20-30 minutes away).
- Reef spot waves differ from beach break waves in that they are longer, more alike and tend to all start from the same spot. During this trip you will finally understand the beauty of surfing!
- Your instructor will explain to you the specifics of the spot - points of orientation on the shore, where it is best to get in and out of the water, you will watch the waves for a bit, do some stretches and get in!
- A private lesson in beautiful warm Bali. Private instruction can offer you a more personalized approach and be the push that you need to advance your surfing to the next level.
- 2.5 hour individual surf lesson
- Individual lessons are structured similary to our group lessons:
- You will brush up on surf theory (where waves come from, how to deal with rip current, myths of the ocean) practice standing up on the ground
- Your instructor will pick an appropriate board for you, after which you will practice getting on and off the board in the pool
- The water portion of the lesson will be tailored to the needs of the client - whether you are a complete begginer or are ready for the line up
- Individual lessons are very good because all of the attention of the instructor is focused on you and your needs. He will be able to point out your mistakes and better correct your technique, meaning you will be able to progress faster than you imagined possible!
- If you are already confident on your board, your instructor can accompany you to a more difficult surf spot.
- soft top board and leash
- rash guard and board shorts
- SPF 50 sunscreen
- lockers with keys for storing personal belongings
- sports insurance (coverage during lesson time only)
|Course name||Rate per person||Season|
Surfing group course for adult (2 days)
Come join us on beautiful Kuta beach for your introductory surf lesson or just to practice your skills. This beach is perfect for beginners and will have you riding towards the shore in the white water, training your first turns in no time at all!
Surfing group course for adult (4 days)
Full surfing course that allows you to go to the line-up and catch your first waves.
Surfing group course for adult (6 days)
For those who want to have a true surf holiday. One surf trip included!
Surfing private course for adult (1 day)
A private lesson in beautiful warm Bali. Private instruction can offer you a more personalized approach and be the push that you need to advance your surfing to the next level. (2,5 hours)